Cupid’s Hunt 2011 – For Donna – Marvin Gaye
During my first few months of podcasting, my playlists (and the creation of The Night Shift) were inspired by requests from friends at work. Not a night went by without a “hey, do you have any ___?” One such mix was last year’s “April Birthday Tribute: Marvin Gay (of course)”. It was created under the expressed direction of Mrs. Donna Bates, LVN, a coworker who, like me, lived life with a soundtrack.
Beautiful, smart and funny; always impeccably made up, coifed and dressed to the nines (even when she changed into our drab hospital-provided scrubs); Donna made sure that not a night with her went by that we didn’t work hard to keep up with her, and laugh hard enough to make 12 hours feel like six. On nights when she worked in triage, she showed up with her boom box and played the local R&B station. She looked like Sunday morning, worked like Monday through Friday; and made time spent around her feel like Saturday night.
Last year, shortly before the anniversary of Marvin Gaye’s death and during a conversation about the songs that kept us employed (we’re labor & delivery nurses), I rattled off the date of the upcoming anniversary from the trash bin of trivia stuck in my head. Donna’s favorite artist just happened to be Marvin Gaye. When I told her about what I was doing on The Night Shift, she told me, “Girl, you ought to mix some Marvin! And don’t forget “Come Get To This!” I did so; and burned a disc for her.
Well, Donna left us last night. When she was brought to the Emergency Room of our own hospital, she had already gotten her front row seat to the ‘sweet sounds comin’ down on the night shift’. I hope she’s met Marvin by now; and that he’s singing “Come Get To This” just for her.
So, with your indulgence, I’d like to remix and re-release that Marvin tribute, and dedicate it to my friend.
Donna… Happy Valentine’s Day. I miss you already. Please sat “hi” to my dad; and give my baby granddaughter a kiss. But, most of all, enjoy that concert.
Song – Album
- Come Get To This (Live From Oakland) – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
Nightshift Intro (The Commodores) – Old School Suite
- Try It Baby – Antholoy  Disc 1
- Pride and Joy – Very Best of Marvin Gaye
- Too Busy Thinking About My Baby – Every Great Motown Hit of Marvin Gaye
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine – Every Great Motown Hit of Marvin Gaye
- Stubborn Kind of Fellow – The Best of Marvin Gaye
- Your Precious Love – Very Best of Marvin Gaye
DarrenKeith Intro - Let’s Get It On Suite
- You Sure Love To Ball (Alternate Mix With Alternate Vocal) – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
- Let’s Get It On – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
- Please Stay (Once You Go Away) (Album Version) – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
- If I Should Die Tonight – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
- Keep Getting’ It On – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
- Distant Lover (Live) – Let’s Get It On (Deluxe Edition)
Angel Turner Intro - Wrapping It Up
- I Want You – The Very Best of Marvin Gaye
- After The Dance – The Best of Marvin Gaye
- Sexual Healing – Slow Jams
- Piece of Clay - Phenomenon: Music From The Motion Picture