I have to thank my mother and father for my love for music; and for my love for the mellow men of rhythm and blues. Brook Benton, Tony Williams (of The Platters), Jackie Wilson, Ray Charles and the ever-growing stable of Motown mellow men filled our house, especially after the addition of the ‘hi-fi’.
Maybe a little later, I’ll add more to this post about watching Mom and Dad ‘slow drag’ to Ray or Brook; or about the Ray Charles concert we attended at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City; or about the New Year’s night my brother and I woke to Tony Williams and my dad standing in our bedroom doorway. But, for now, I’ll wipe away a tear and listen to Brook Benton sing “Think Twice’.
Mom and Dad, this is my Valentine to you.
Happy Valentine’s Day.
- It’s Just A Matter Of Time – Brook Benton
- The Great Pretender – The Platters
- A Woman, A Lover, A Friend – Jackie Wilson
- Here We Go Again – Ray Charles
- A Rainy Night In Georgia – Brook Benton
- Only You (And You Alone) – The Platters
- Doggin’Around – Jackie Wilson
- Doggin’Around – Michael Jackson
- I Can’t Stop Loving You – Ray Charles
- Kiddio – Brook Benton
- Crying Time – Ray Charles
- One In A Million – The Platters
- Lonely Teardrops – Jackie Wilson
- Angel Turner
- Baby (You’ve Got What It Takes) – Brook Benton & Dinah Washington
- Heaven On Earth – The Platters
- To Be Loved – Jackie Wilson
- Enchanted – The Platters
- Hotel Happines – Brook Benton
- Twilight Time – The Platters
- You Don’t Know Me – Jackie Wilson
- You Don’t Know Me – Ray Charles
- Anji Bee
- Smoke Gets In Your Eyes – The Platters
- For Your Precious Love – Jackie Wilson (with Count Basie)
- (You’ve Got) The Magic Touch – The Platters
- Angel Turner
- Think Twice – Brook Benton
- (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher
I have to give a special shout-out to Scottie L. Smith, Sr. (I promised I’d tag you for this mix); and, to Jonathan C. Morton, who sat in many a study hall with me singing some of these songs to my little portable tape player.