Shortly after Cupid’s Hunt 2010, I promised some Class of ’75 mixes to celebrate classmates and friends lost and found. I haven’t forgotten. Every once in a while, a playlist forms in my head, only to (poof!) vanish like a puff of smoke. There were so many memorable songs that year (at least, I think so); I wasn’t sure where to start.
So, for Cupid’s Hunt 2012, I’ll focus on some of the love songs that rocked those blue-light-in-the-basement parties brought to mind whenever I hear one played on the radio. Nothing by Smokey (I’m glad I was able to finish his mix); and nothing by the Tempts (I’m working on their mix, too). I probably should have paid special attention to Barry White as well. Working with “Let Me Live My Life Loving You” has given me a few ideas. Also, there’s a little surprise by Solo from 1995. Hearing it the first time reminded me of “Let’s Do It Again”. Their sound it reminiscent of Sam Cooke; and will be featured in a tribute for him later this year.
But for now, pick your spot on the wall.
For Todd Grundy and the Furys, who threw the best basement parties I can remember.
- Lovin’ You – Minnie Ripperton – Perfect Angel
- Let Me Live My Life Lovin’ You – Barry White – Just Another Way To Say I Love You
- I Belong To You – Love Unlimited – Best of Love Unlimited
- Let Me Make Love To You – The O’Jays – The Essential O’Jays
- Love Won’t Let Me Wait – Major Harris - My Way
- Just A Thing That I Do – Major Harris - My Way
- Reasons (Live) – Earth, Wind & Fire – Gratititude
- Your Smile – Rufus – Rufusized
- I Can’t Say No – Natalie Cole – Inseperable
- Inseperable – Natalie Cole – Inseperable
- Mr. Fresh
- Remember What I Told You To Forget – Tavares – Anthology
- Sweet Love – The Commodores – Motown Love
- For The Love Of You (Part 1 & 2) – The Isley Brothers – Love Songs
- Let’s Do It Again - The Staple Singers
- Where Do U Want Me To Put It – Solo – Solo
- Hope That We Can Be Together Soon – Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes (feat. Sharon Paige) – To Be True