I must apologize that this post is so late. I originally wanted to have it ready in time for Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday; and when I didn’t, I thought I’d abandon the project until the anniversary of his death. However, April 4 is my mother’s birthday, and I have something a little more festive in mind for Mom.
I remember a hot August day in 1963. I was too busy thinking about starting first grade in less than two weeks to realize that what I was watching history unfold on the television. I saw thousands of people on the screen, and knew that my father was among them. I saw faces of celebrities that I recognized from the movies and from The Ed Sullivan Show.
And, I saw Dr. King.
I didn’t understand much of what he was saying that day. I remember that he said he had a dream; and that he mentioned his children. I learned the significance of “I Have A Dream” in the years since from my parents and through my experiences outside the home. However, I was always keenly aware that Dr. King had children the same ages as my friends and myself, and that we all were the beneficiaries of his dream.
TNS – For the Children Of The Dream includes “I Have A Dream” and “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” in their entirety. I also included Kirk Franklin’s “My Life Is In Your Hands” from the soundtrack of “Get On The Bus”, a movie about another march on Washington, D.C., the Million Man March.
- We Shall Overcome - The Montgomery Gospel Trio, The Nashville Quartet, and Guy Carawan – We Shall Overcome, Songs of the Freedom Ride [5:35]
- We Shall Overcome – Martin Luther King, Jr. – We Shall Overcome [2:27]
- How I Got Over – Mahalia Jackson – Mahalia Jackson’s Greatest Hits [5:23]
- Take My Hand, Precious Lord – Mahalia Jackson – Gospels, Spiritual, & Hymns [4:15]
- Living in the Promiseland – Willie Nelson – Essential Willie Nelson [3:22]
- I Have a Dream (Washington, D.C. 8/28/63) – Martin Luther King, Jr. – Greatest Speeches of All Time, Vol. 1 [6:11]
- A Change Is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke – The Man and His Music [3:14]
- Choice of Colors – The Impressions - Anthology 1961-1977 [3:17]
- We’re a Winner – The Impressions – Anthology 1961-1977 [2:24]
- Keep On Pushing – The Impressions – Anthology 1961-1977 [2:34]
- People Get Ready – The Impressions - Anthology 1961-1977 [2:38]
- I’ve Been to the Mountaintop – Martin Luther King, Jr. – Martin Luther King, Jr. Tapes [20:41]
- Wake Up Everybody – Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes – The Essential Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes [7:32]
- What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye – Anthology [3:58]
- Patience - Anika Noni Rose – Dreamgirls [Original Soundtrack] [3:34]
- America, the Beautiful – Ray Charles [3:36]
- My Life Is In Your Hands – Kirk Franklin, God’s Property – Get On The Bus [5:36]
- Happy Birthday – Stevie Wonder – Hotter Than July [5:57]