When I first read about Cupid’s Hunt, I jumped in with the blind enthusiasm of a novice and wrote eight playlists of songs about longing love, lost love, abusive love, and even cheating love. My favorite playlists were I Want You – my very first mix – and First Dance.
We get many ‘first’ dances in our lives. Whether we’re teens, on the crowded floor of a basement blue-light party; or newlyweds, after the floor has been cleared; or parents, when only the music and a dance quiets a fussy newborn; a first dance can be a sweet memory.
When I asked a few friends about their first dances, I heard stories about first dates; parents’ anniversaries; proms, weddings and receptions; and late-night baby dances. I included the favorite songs from those dances in this mix, along with some of my favorites: Soul Generation’s “That’s The Way It’s Got To Be (Body and Soul)”, my first dance with a young man in blue at a basement blue-light party; Earth, Wind & Fire’s “I’ll Write A Song” and Sade’s “By Your Side”, first dances with my newborn daughters; and Natalie Cole’s “Unforgettable”, a song my son, Robert, and I had to use to learn the box step for a debutante ball.
The two most important of all my favorite first dance songs are also included, and they are the reason I’ve been working to get this mix out before Wednesday. On February 10, 1979, as Greg and I were married as my sister-in-law sang Smokey Robinson’s “Wedding Song”; and we danced our first dance to LTD’s “We Both Deserve Each Other’s Love”.
So, with our 31st anniversary just days away, I dedicate this mix to Gregory T. Bethune, Sr., who has made every dance since feel like our first one.
Cupid’s Hunt: TNS – First Dance
Playlist – Title – Artist – Album [Time]
- With You – Tony Terry – Tony Terry [5:06]
- Night Shift Cupid’s Hunt Welcome – JBethune – Promos [0:13]
- At Last – Etta James – Her Best [3:00]
- Even If My Heard Would Break – Aaron Neville, Kenny G – The Bodyguard [4:58]
- Walkin’ in the Sun – Rufus – Rags To Rufus [3:01]
- Cupid’s Hunt All The Right Places – TGrundy – Promos Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:07]
- The Lady In My Life – Michael Jackson – Thriller [5:00]
- You Put A Move On My Heart – Tamia/Quincy Jones – Ultimate Collection [6:13]
- A Smile Like Yours – Natalie Cole – A Smile Like Yours [4:23]
- Unforgettable (Duet with Nat King Cole) – Natalie Cole – Unforgettable: With Love [3:31]
- This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) – Natalie Cole – The Natalie Cole Collection [2:51]
- Cupid’s Hunt Best Music – TGrundy – Promos Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:08]
- I’m Yours – El Debarge/Quincy Jones – Ultimate Collection [4:16]
- I’ll Write A Song For You – Earth, Wind & Fire – All ‘N All [5:24]
- My Reason To Be Is You – Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis, Jr. – Wedding Songs [4:41]
- That’s The Way It’s Got To Be (Body and Soul) – Soul Generation – Beyond Body and Soul [3:08]
- I’d Still Say Yes – Klymaxx – Wedding Songs [4:41]
- By Your Side – Sade – Lover’s Rock [4:35]
- Cupid’s Hunt Romantic Moments – TGrundy – Promo – Cupid’s Hunt 2010 [0:19]
- Here And Now – Luther Vandross – [5:22]
- We Both Deserve Each Other’s Love – Jeffrey Osborne – Ultimate Collection [3:07]
- Wedding Song – Smokey Robinson – A Quiet Storm [3:35]
I’d like to send a shout out to an old and dear friend, Todd Grundy, of RIBS: Rhythms in Black Satin for the promo drops. Be sure to check RIBS out, along with other members of the Music Podcast Consortium. Visit their site on Facebook and become a fan!
If you missed any past posts or mixes, feel free to visit The Archives. If there are any problems with the links, mixes or pages; if you have found another cool music blog; or if you have a music request, please drop me a comment or an email.